Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gem of an Idea

I spotted organic raw sugar on my supermarket counter the other day, and picked it up thinking it will come handy in baking. Or more specifically, baking cookies, which has become a weekend ritual!

Started by mixing 100 gms of butter with 40 gms caster sugar and 30 gms raw sugar, and beat them until light. Then added 175 gms flour and ½ tsp vanilla essence and mixed everything into a smooth dough. Rolled it into a log, then left it wrapped in a buttered sheet in the fridge for half an hour.

By this time, the dough is a bit harder and easy to cut into thin cookies. My raw sugar is not very fine, so the cookies were speckled with brown. To give it extra color, I added Gems in the center of all cookies. If you don’t have Gems handy, use M&M.

I baked the cookies at 180C for 15 minutes, and they came out looking nice and brown. What a difference from the pale yellow cookies I’ve been baking past two weeks.



This recipe makes about 24 cookies, and my small oven can’t take more than 12 at a time. So I baked 12 yesterday and left half the dough in the fridge until today. The next batch, baked a day later, came out tasting great so the dough keeps well for a day. And the cookies keep for at least 3-4 days if left in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Aparna said...

These cookies look cute. I have tried making cookies with gems by incorporating them in the dough. My daughter loves them.
Saw your link from Joanna's blog.