Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Taste this Salad



This is my third time participating in Nicole's Taste & Create. Its a charming event where she randomly pairs you with another blog. And then you go find all about what your partner cooks, pick a recipe you fancy and recreate it.

My partner this month is Pam from Australia. She claims to be "not a great cook", but I was totally awed by her breads. Pam has been making lots of hearty dishes that I would have loved to try if it was less warm here. Then it struck me : its winter where she lives, and I need to go back a bit to find a summer recipe. So it was back in her January postings that I found this Pomegranate, feta, cucumber and mint salad.

It sounded like such a colorful idea that instead of going her tossed salad way, I layered the ingredients in a glass. So its pomegranate first, followed by cucumber, then coriander, feta, mint and finally some red onion.

For dressing, I combined 2 tbsp each of olive oil and vinegar. I didn't have the sumac that Pam suggested, so I added some chaat masala for the tangy flavor. And a pinch of salt.

There are two ways you can add the dressing to a layered salad. Either toss each ingredient in dressing separately, or pour some dressing over each layer before you add the next one (which is what I did).

Thanks Pam! Its so perfect for a summer lunch.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Simran, what an amazing way to serve this lovely salad. It's making me crave for pomegranates again as well as the warmer weather. Yours looks so pretty.

Hetal said...

The salad presentation is very nice..and the salad looks delicious..
Would love to see u on my blog.

sireesha said...

The salad presentation is very nice..and the salad looks yummy and mouthwatering.
Hi,visited ur blog first time.U have lovely and beautiful blog .Would love to see u on my blog.

Sunshinemom said...

That is a beautiful salad. Similar to kala chana and cucumber mint salad. I never tried adding pomegranate though!