Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Cherry a Month

Cherries are the fruit of choice for November's A Fruit A Month being hosted by Rachel. Where will I find cherries in November, I asked? And Rachel assured me that she would let me use them in any form - canned, preserved or dried. So when my friend turned up for lunch on sunday afternoon and I needed a dessert in a hurry, I converted my trusted berry muffin recipe to incorporate dried cherries I had in my fridge.



To make four cherry muffins, mix 100 gms flour with 1 tsp baking powder and 40 gms caster sugar. Set oven to preheat at 200C. Melt 30 gms butter and pour into the flour mixture. Add 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence and 50 gms yogurt. Mix well to form a batter, then add a handful of dried cherries. Mix and spoon into four paper lined muffin cases. Top with some more dried cherries and bake for 15 minutes.

I could have browned them a bit more, but I like the contrasting colors and the flavor was just perfect. Yummy lunch dessert ready in a jiffy - who said muffins are only for breakfast!

7 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

I too had asked the same thing! I don't like the canned thing as you end up getting some rotten ones in it, and I am so skeptical about that one rotten one staying in with the others so long!! Your muffins have plumped up so nicely:)

BTW, the Godrej Nature's Basket here, and they told me that this is an ordinary shop not the gourmet one!!! I am shocked - are we Thaneites now forced to face this kind of discrimination too?

I gave him a yuck look and well....@#$!

Simran said...

This is so bad! The Lokhandwala one seemed to be the same earlier, but a few months back they decked it up so I guess we are now in the gourmet category.

Curry Leaf said...

They have plumped up nicely.I am yet to make an entry.Hopefully will do,I have got sweetened cherry halves for that and searching for something easy and good.Love these :p

Pearl said...

hi there! oh what adorable muffins! at first, i thought you steamed them (they're similar to the chinese steamed cake), but i'm glad to know that you baked (cause i'm too scared to use a steamer LOL)

hope to keep in touch :)

Sunshinemom said...

I wrote two mails and no reply!! Where are you? Are you alright?

Rachel said...

Am glad you made these..fres cherries or not..they look scrumptious.

Aparna said...

I never knew cherries were dried. I've only seen the frsh ones and those in sugar syrup.
Yes, your muffins look lovely with cherries just about bursting from them.