Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is it soup? No, Saar



We are having a Maharashtrian food festival at my home right now. It all starts every few months when my cook, who's a Maharashtrian herself, hands me a list of ingredients to buy because she's had an inspiration to cook something special. And ever since I tasted her sabudana khichdi and usal, it doesn't take a lot of motivation for me to go get coconut, kokam or whatever else she needs. The biggest motivation of all is her tomato saar.

Saar has a soup like consistency and can be eaten on its own. But my cook insists that its a curry to be eaten with plain rice and it's my favorite way too.

To make saar, drop 2 tomatoes in boiling water. Wait for a few minutes and remove. The skin should come off easily by now. Puree the peeled tomatoes. Mix 2-3 tbsp chopped or shredded coconut, a few cloves of garlic, 2 green chillies and 2 tbsp coriander leaves. Grind to a fine paste.

Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan. Add a tsp of cumin seeds and let splutter. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and after a few seconds, the coconut paste. Stir fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the pureed tomatoes and a cup of water. Bring to a boil, the reduce the heat and let simmer until the saar has a thickened and cooked through (about 5-7 minutes).

7 comments:

Vij said...

This is my first time here...u have a lovely space! jus popped in to say a big hi!

Lovely post...its looks yummy & sounds perfect for the monsoon.

Sunshinemom said...

A hit with us too!! Yessir:)

Sagari said...

nice one ,looks thick and yummmmmm

Bhawana said...

lovely entry dear. keep in up. do check my blog too.

Bharti said...

Oh that sounds super tasty. Coconut garlic tomatoes...whats not to like!

Aparna said...

Catchy post title!
I've had this before but never made it. I really should since it is tasty and so easy to make.

Curry Leaf said...

Here also a hit as it is similar to rasam or rasam itself if u like.