Monday, February 9, 2009

The Fudge Factor



What do you do with leftover khoya (mawa)? It's not a question I am faced with often as I rarely buy this rich condensed milk, the base for countless Indian sweets. But with bright red carrots now in season, I got myself a pack to make gajar halwa. That was last week, and once gajar halwa was over and done with, I still had half a cup of khoya fast approaching it's expiry date. As I said, there are countless ways to use this khoya. Almond fudge was my quick and easy way.

I thought of this one on the spur of the moment and it took less than a minute to make, so it's a bit hard to write down the recipe. But let me try. Crumble 1/2 cup khoya in a microwave safe bowl. Mix 2 tbsp ground almonds and a tbsp of castor sugar. Sprinkle on the khoya. Microwave at 50% power for 20 seconds, mix to blend all the ingredients and return to the microwave for another 20-30 seconds until the khoya is really soft. Pat into a rough square on a greased dish, let cool a bit then cut into squares. Your almond fudge is ready.

You can do fancy stuff before the fudge sets - like sprinkle nuts or garnish with silver warq. But as I said, this wasn't even a recipe - just the pretence of using up khoya and a guilty snack on a sunday afternoon.

5 comments:

Bharti said...

yummy.
I'm wondering what it would taste like if you added cocoa to it too.

Poonam said...

wow sounds easy..I am drooling...

Aparna said...

Guilty, I can understand but how do you resist the smell and taste of something like this?

Andhra Flavors said...

Make me drool over ur picture

Ranjani said...

That looks good...I haven't had anything with khoya in it for the longest time! Miss it in gajar halwa especially.
Is there a way to make khoya at home?