Skip to main content

MEC Roundup : Breezy Breakfast Ideas

You people are fabulous. I was nervous hosting my first ever event, thinking no one will send in an entry. And here we are, with 16 quick and breezy breakfast ideas to start your day instead. To Priya, who sent in four wonderful breakfast ideas and to bluespriite who sent in her first ever event entry and to everyone else who came up with these beautiful breakfast dishes : A BIG THANK YOU!

Now on to the roundup. I've divided the entries the way I divide the breakfast dishes in my head. For me, breakfast is either sweet and fruity or hot and savory. And then there are drinks. So it is in this roundup. First, the sweet breakfasts.



First on left are Priya's Muesli N Chocolate Bars. It's chocolate and it's healthy. What else can you ask for!

Next to it you see chocolate in a decadent version. Bluspriite says her Chocolate Cake is the quickest ever. I say it's the best breakfast idea I've ever heard.

Another healthy muesli recipe from Priya on bottom right. Her Swiss Muesli is one of the most colorful I've seen.

And on bottom left, you have my very own Peach Oatmeal Crumble.

Next are the nine savory dishes, but I divided them into seven vegetarian and two non-vegetarian ideas.



First up in the veggie world is bluespriite's Sprouted Moong Salad. She made it to take the guilt away from her previous chocolate cake entry.

Next is Preeti's Upma, the first thing she made in her microwave after the papad. I like her idea of adding milk to make it soft.

Then comes the brain behind MEC. Srivalli got inspiration on the last day of the event to make Mor Kali, a dish she loves but had never cooked before.

In the next row, we have Dipali's Rava Idli. A great sunday breakfast with minimum fuss.

Then comes my fellow Mumbaikar Prathibha with Savory Oats Porridge. And I've finally found a way to use those oats I bought to bake cookies.

And what it is with Priya and healthy eating. Her next entry is the very healthy Stuffed Vegetable Idli.

Finally, what you see lurking in that corner is my Sabudana Khichdi.



Non-veggies get a great choice too. You can heed Priya and make very delicious Poached Egg with Cheese.

Or go with Praveen who wanted something filling but quick on a weekday morning and came up with Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich.



And finally the drinks. You've had elaichi chai. But Bharti makes something different when she comes up with Elaichi Wali Coffee.

Lavi sends in a deliciously pink Oats Buttermilk

And to end it all, I have my new favorite drink. It's Sinful Hot Chocolate so good, it's addictive!

Happy Breakfast! I hope I didn't miss anyone. But drop me a line if I did, and I will correct the roundup promptly.

Comments

Srivalli said…
See I told you na..what a fabulous round up..will surely use up these ideas!
Priya Suresh said…
Fabulous and neat roundup Simran...Droolworthy dishes!!!
Dips said…
Great roundup Srivalli ! Very neat and sumptous :)
sugar & spice said…
Good job :) The recipes are looking good - perhaps I'll try a couple of them soon to add some variety into my daily breakfast.
Bharti said…
Lovely round up Simran! The event was a success..am so glad I got a chance to make something to send in.
Nice job simran..I wish I could have sent a couple of entries more...good ideas to use microwave for brkfast..
Rush said…
is there still time for me to submit? i didnt kno u were doing a breakfast event :(...wats the last date?
jayasree said…
Great roundup with some interesting ,breezy b'fast ideas. Good job.
Khaugiri said…
GR8 Roundup Simran!!!!!!!!!!
bluespriite said…
What amazing ideas!! I had not clue the microwave could make so many yummy things! Thank you.
Unknown said…
Congratulations on hosting a successful event! This is a great round-up, gave me so many new ideas for easy breakfast
CurryLeaf said…
Never knew these many bfast dishes could be made in mw.Missed the event
Ann said…
Wow.. Lovely adn very tempting recipes. Interesting round up

Popular posts from this blog

Announcing AWED : Britain

Before I ate my first Italian wood fired pizza, before I went to that swanky Japanese sushi bar for the first time, or the neighborhood Chinese joint, the first non-Indian cuisine I encountered was British. Not real food, mind you, but the tempting, oh so delicious descriptions in my favorite novels. From Enid Blyton to Jane Austen to P.G. Wodehouse, every favorite character in every favorite novel seems to have food on their mind. Yes, British food gets ridiculed a lot. But forget their main course dishes for now, and think of the full English breakfast and the elegant afternoon teas. Then try imagining the world without cucumber sandwiches or potato chips and you will realize you can't do without British food. Which is why when I saw that DK was looking for hosts for her monthly event AWED (A Worldly Epicurean's Delight) and there has never been a British AWED, I promptly signed up. The rules are simple really: Make any vegetarian or vegan British dish (eggs are

Aloo Paranthas

In all these years of blogging, I've somehow never managed to talk about aloo paranthas, the potato stuffed flatbread that's a standard breakfast in North India. Possibly because they are such a staple in our home, I found there wouldn't be enough interest in the recipe. But I've also realised over time that my mom's recipe is unique, using a combination of flavours and spices that make these paranthas delicious. But that's not the only reason for this post. I also wanted to tell you about a super cool party and some ways we found to make aloo paranthas even better and believe it or not, healthier. The party in question was hosted by Rushina at her cooking studio a few months back. For a while now, Rushina has been talking about the merits of cling film, parchment and something called cooking foil made by Asahi Kasei. Because we won't believe that you can really cook without oil but using science, she invited a bunch of us over for a potluck lunch.

I've found my perfect cookie

It's a bite sized cookie, with flavors of a pie, shape of a croissant and a pretty, pretty name. It's Rugelach. I first heard of this cookie when it became the baking pick for Tuesdays with Dorrie a couple of months back. The looks, the concept - everything was fascinating. And I've dreamed of making this cookie ever since. I ditched hundreds of recipes floating around and went straight to the master. It's Dorie Greenspan's recipe that I used, and ain't I glad I got it so perfect the very first time. So what's rugelach? It's cream-cheese pastry dough, rolled then cut into wedges, spread with jam and sugar and fillings of choice, rolled into crescents and baked. First the dough. Dorie did it in her processor, but I just went and did it by hand. Put 100 gms cream cheese and 100 gms butter out of the fridge until they were soft but still cold. Added both to a cup of plain flour (I omitted the salt because I use salted butter). Rubbed the flour and but