Friday, September 11, 2009

Just a Dosa


Are you sitting there scratching your head, wondering what I am doing blogging about a plain dosa. And not a very good one at that. Well, the thing is, I've wanted to try my hand at dosa making for quite a long time. That seemed to be the only way to get exactly what I wanted : crisp but not paper thin plain dosa. And finally, I did!

There's no recipe for this one, because it's made of store bought batter. That's one good thing about Bombay. Every store around here sells freshly ground idli and dosa batter, so you never need think about soaking and fermenting things for 2 days and what not.

It's pretty much instant. Buy the batter, drop a couple of tbsp on a heated nonstick griddle, spread it out as thin as a crepe, add a bit of oil, let it brown, then fold. Still to perfect the technique but the initial results were not too bad.

11 comments:

Lebouffe said...

Thats quite nice.. Its easy to make yr own batter too :) But the shops are real convenient.. I love making dosas, thats one thing I make better than anyone at home, and they're almost always perfect -Naina

Jaya Wagle said...

Not too bad for a novice Simran. Here are a few unsolicited tips.
I too buy dosa batter from the store over here. One secret a Tamilian friend told me was to thin out the batter a little bit with water since it is too thick. That makes a thinner crepe. Plus, I usually make my dosa on a slightly oily and not too hot and not too cold non stick tava. Too hot makes the batter clump and too cold makes the dosa chewy.

Prathibha said...

I agree with u dear..every store sells dosa/idly batter here which is so convenient..but home made dosa's/idlies are definitey better than store bought ones right,wat say?????

notyet100 said...

dosa looks so crisp and yum,.

Curry Leaf said...

Looks crisp.Here I always grind it Simran.Right now I am in the middle of it.So tomorrows bfast is u know what

Kitchen Flavours said...

Hmmm simplified dosa procedure....looks crisp....

Siri said...

It is likewise here too. Almost every Indian store in US has idli/dosa batter and it is very handy too! I use it all the time :)

Siri

Srivalli said...

ehmm...I am still waiting for the day you will do that appam..:)..if you have the time and energy dosa is quite easy to make at home, unlike idlis which may result in hard ones if not done properly...

but store bought ones are so convenient no doubt..

Debbie said...

Simran ... seeing your first time dosa gives me hope that a gal From Kansas, USA can make them too! You know I have been researching recipes. Thanks for the return email with all the suggestions! Debbie

MamaFaMi said...

I love dosa or tosei as it is called in Malaysia...

shayma said...

do you have an email address where we can write to you?