Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Spinach and 3 Cheese Risotto


So I had this pack of arborio rice for a whole year, and I did nothing about it. Then, a few days back, I made my first risotto. And I've been feeling like making a new one every other day. This one's my favorite so far.

Like any other risotto, start by making stock. For my 1/3 cup of rice, I need 1 1/3 cup of warm vegetable stock. Chop 1/2 cup of spinach. Cut ricotta into small cubes. Grate cheddar and parmesan cheeses separately. How much of each of these three? Really, as much as you like.

Now, heat a tsp of olive oil in a pan. Drop your 1/3 cup of arborio rice and toss of coat. Add 1/3 cup stock, reduce the heat to medium and let cook. When the rice has absorbed part of the stock, add another 1/3 cup. With the third addition, add spinach. When the water level reduces this time round, check the rice for doneness. You may need the last 1/3 cup of stock, or not. Either way, once the last bit of stock is added and the rice is done but still has a bite, cook it for another 2-3 minutes. Add ricotta, cook for another minute or so and turn off the heat. Stir in grated cheddar, then top with parmesan and fresh ground pepper.

8 comments:

Siri said...

Cheesy looking Risotto Simran ;).

Siri

Divya Kudua said...

Umm...yum!!!

Lebouffe said...

Hmm.. Irresistible cheesy :)
-Naina

Prathibha said...

Never tasted risotto rice dear...
looks very cheesy n yummy..

Parita said...

Hmmm yummm..looks delicious!

Curry Leaf said...

Cheeeeeeeeeeessssssssssy one,Say Cheese Simran and pass it over.

Miri said...

That looks like one wonderful risotto...my fav dish.

The Purple Foodie said...

I want to come have dinner with you! You are totally on a Risotto roll girl.Looks delicious.