Thursday, November 19, 2009

Edamame at Hypercity

Will my neighborhood grocery store never stop shocking me. Here I was just walking past the section with packaged vegetables and herbs. I noticed something from the corner of my eye and did a quick double take. Labeled green soybeans, sitting pretty on the counter were edamame. I love the salted steamed beans to death. And because you couldn't buy them in India so far, I would spend half my lunches and dinners on trips outside India eating plates of plain salted edamame in overpriced Japanese restaurants.

But now, I can just bring home this packet, pop it in the microwave with a tbsp of water, sprinkle some coarse salt after a couple of minutes. And have the bestest guilt free snack on earth.

I wonder what they will come up with next. Globe Artichokes?

PS: If you have noticed the lack of pictures around here recently, that's because I dropped and broke my camera. Making do with my cellphone until I find a replacement.

9 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

I will have to tell my bhajiwala about that! Maybe he will get them for me when he hears there is competition:)

Miri said...

I am making a trip to Mumbai next week - where are these beans to be found? do tell!

Malar Gandhi said...

Hi, thats awful to lose a camera...hmm, photo is not so important to me, juat the recipe:)

Hmm, b/n I too like endamame to the core:)

Spice said...

I hope it wasn't the excitement of finding "endamame" in your local store, that made u drop your camera....hope u can get it fixed...

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Bombay is really improving! We get SO MUCH STUFF here now :)

The Purple Foodie said...

Are you kidding me? Where, oh where?! =) PS: hope you're having a fab time in Amritsar.

The Purple Foodie said...

oh, and bangalore is far far ahead when it comes to "exotic" ingredients. I found artichokes there!

Anushruti said...

oh yes! Bangalore has most of the exotic stuff. Its a dream!

good food launches said...

we at amalgam specialty foods are importing this variety from japan and hopefully we will be able to popularize this as healthy bar snack in high end restaurants and hotels.. imagine seasoning it with KEYA salad seasonings !!